This is a delicious & EASY bread I make for weekend brunch or after-school snacks. Turns out nice and moist, and makes the house smell wonderful. Unfortunately, I can’t remember which book I copied the recipe from – hence can’t give the author their due credit.
HONEY WHEAT BREAD (10-15 servings)
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast (1 envelope or 0.25 oz)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
1) Dissolve powdered milk with warm water in a bowl.
2) Add oil, honey, salt, yeast, and half of both flours.
3) Beat on low speed for 2 mins with an electric mixer.
4) Add the remaining flour and beat on low till combined.
5) Place dough in a greased 4-5qt slow cooker.
6) Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours.
7) When done, remove stoneware from slow cooker and let it stand 5 mins. Invert on to serving platter while still hot.
8) Serve with honey butter or jam.