(Serves 5-6 )
- 2 .5 lbs spanish mackerel / tilapia pieces (washed & drained) – I prefer steak cuts
- 3 green chillies (slit)
- 3 garlic pods (sliced)
- 2 inch ginger (sliced)
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- lemon juice & salt to taste
- 1 can coconut milk
1) Heat 2 Tbsp oil on medium flame in a wide pan.
2) Add slit green chillies and allow to pop.
3) Add garlic and roast few mins.
4) Add onion and roast till it starts to almost brown.
5) Add tomato and roast till soft. Cool. Blend.
6) In the same pan, heat 1Tbsp oil on medium flame add the spices. Roast for a few seconds making sure not to burn it.
7) Add ground onion-tomato paste and fry for a few minutes to incorporate all the spices.
8) Add coconut milk, 1 cup water, salt & lemon juice and bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning to taste.
9) Gently drop in fish pieces and cook about 10-15 mins on a low simmer. (Ideally, the pan should be deep enough to allow the fish to be covered in the gravy. If not, gently turn the fish pieces over once mid-way, making sure they do not break apart.)
10) Carefully transfer fish to serving dish with a wide spoon and top with chopped cilantro. Serve with roti or jeera (cumin) rice.
For best taste, let the curry sit few hours or overnight so the fish can seep up all the flavors.