After years of leaving for work with just coffee, I finally got my husband to start eating breakfast. He isn’t a fan of muffins, bagels, pancakes, etc., and would love a hot, spicy Indian dish each morning. NOT HAPPENING!!! Surfing for savory and easy breakfast recipes that I could make ahead took me to Vegetarian Nirvana. These pancakes are eggless, savory, and can be frozen. I have made a few changes to the original recipe and it is a big hit in our family.
(Makes 5-6 pancakes)
- 1 cup finely chopped baby spinach (tightly packed) – washed & drained
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg [optional]
- 1 cup pancake mix
- ¼ cup fat free cheese (I used crumbled feta) – [optional]
- Oil/ cooking spray for cooking
1) Measure out baking soda, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and chilli powder.
2) Gently mix with buttermilk so it can start its leavening reaction and set aside 2 minutes.
3) Stir in spinach & feta till just incorporated.
4) Gently stir in pancake mix till mixed and no lumps are visible. Do not overmix.
5) Cook 1/4 cup batter on a hot griddle till golden brown like regular pancakes.
NOTE: Cheese is optional. Add any seasoning to adapt to your tastes. My 8-year old love his with ketchup while my teen has his pancakes with spicy Sriracha.
MAKE AHEAD: Cool completely and stack with pieces of wax paper inbetween. Place in a freezer bag and seal after removing all the air. Can be reheated in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.