After reading a dozen quinoa-muffin recipes online, I decided to try out my own version with an Indian twist. Pulled 2 out from the freezer for my husband’s breakfast this morning, and he said “Hmmm…. I love it!!” He asked to have 2 more after his run this evening 🙂
(Makes 16-18 muffins)
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
- 4 eggs (use 3 if that’s all you have)
- 1 cup shredded cheese ( I used mozzarella as that’s all I had at home)
- 1 medium onion (chop fine)
- 2-3 green chillies (chop fine)
- few sprigs cilantro (chop fine)
- salt to taste
1) Heat oven to 325* F. Spray two muffin trays with cooking spray.
2) Gently mix all ingredients till combined.
3) Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way and gently press down. Bake 25-30 mins till set, gently lifting one muffin to check if crust is light golden brown.
NOTE: I put the onion, chillies and cilantro in a small food processor to make it easy. Make sure not to make it too fine as the onions will release more moisture. For easy clean-up, you could line the muffin tin with cupcake liners, but I find that they do not give crisp golden edges.
MAKE AHEAD: Once cooled, these muffins can be stacked in a freezer bag and frozen for a few weeks. To reheat, cover with a paper towel and place 2 in the microwave for about a minute and let it sit for another minute (time varies according to microwave power).