Delicious and easy. I make these all the time and freeze for a quick breakfast or snack. The key is to not over-mix the dough.
Carrot Muffins (Makes 12)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp mace
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 medium carrots (grated)
1) Preheat oven to 350* F
2) Sift or run a fork through the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder & soda, salt, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg) to combine well.
3) Combine oil, sugar and eggs on medium with a hand held blender or with a whisk.
4) Gently stir in the carrots and mix well.
5) Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture and gently stir until just mixed. Over-mixing will result in denser and tougher muffins.
6) Fill lined muffin-trays and bake for 25-30 minutes.
NOTE: I sometimes add in 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Stir these in with the carrots before adding the dry ingredients. You will end up with 2-3 more muffins for a total of 14-15. Also note that if you do not have nutmeg and/or mace, you can increase the other spices. I have on occasion used pumpkin pie spice because it was handy. To make this recipe lower in fat and calories, you may substitute 1/2 cup oil with 1/2 cup mashed banana or applesauce.