With a Jamaica trip few weeks away, I didn’t want to give in to the PB&J sandwich craving this morning. Oatmeal is not exactly an exciting breakfast for me but my husband loves it. I wanted something sweet, and this was an all natural, guilt free and delicious breakfast! If you use unsweetened milk, increase the number of dates to your liking. The recipe below was not overly sweet. It is important to let the date cook in the milk for a few minutes to make them soft and juicy, and to flavor the milk.
Oatmeal with Dates and Walnuts
- 1 cup oats
- 1 3/4 cup milk of your choice (I used sweetened soy milk)
- 6-8 dates (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp toasted walnuts (chopped)
- cinnamon powder to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
1) Cook oatmeal and dates in milk according to directions for the type of oats used. This can be done either in the microwave or stovetop.
2) Add cinnamon and mix. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3) Divide into 2 serving bowls and top with nuts and fruit / raisins.