This easy & tasty chicken dish can be prepared ahead of time and warmed in the oven just before serving. Deep frying will give it a better taste, but pan frying / stir frying is almost as good, and a little healthier.
South Indian Chicken Fry
- 4 lbs chicken (cut in small pieces)
- 2-3 garlic pods (grated)
- 1 inch ginger (peeled & grated)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp cloves powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves;
- 3-4 green chillies (slit)
1) In a large bowl, mix all the spices. Add chicken and marinate for 3-4 hours, stirring once midway.
2) In a wide pan / wok, heat 2 Tbsp oil on medium-high. Add half the chicken and stir fry till cooked and the moisture is gone, stirring often. Avoid overcooking as it makes the meat rubbery.
3) Repeat with the remaining chicken and place on serving platter.
4) In the same wok, heat 1 tsp oil and add the slit green chillies. Use a plate or lid to partially cover the wok and shield your face, as the chilli seeds will pop and splatter. Fry for a few seconds. This gives the dish a wonderful flavor.
5) Add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds, waiting for it to stop crackling.
6) Pour the oil with chillies and curry leaves over the plated chicken and serve hot.
NOTE: You can use skinless, boneless chicken breast or thighs, but I prefer to have the butcher make 5 small pieces from 1 whole leg and thigh piece.