From a hand-ripped piece of a magazine page – no date or name, unfortunately – I have been meaning to make this appetizer for years. Easy, tasty, and can be assembled ahead of time. Pop in the oven for 20 minutes, remove to pretty platter, and be the Hostess with the Mostess 🙂
Scrumptious Stuffed Mushrooms
(Makes 20 pieces)
- 20 medium white mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped onions
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely crushed Ritz cracker crumbs (about 15)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 400*.
2) Remove stems from the mushrooms and finely chop a few to make 1/4 cup. Set aside. Save other stems for another use.
3) Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat, and add onion, peppers, and mushroom stems; cook till tender. Turn off heat and let it set aside for a minute.
4) Add cracker crumbs, cheese, seasoning, and crushed red pepper (if using) and mix well.
5) Stuff into mushroom caps (I found it easier to use my fingers rather than spoons).
6) Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 15-17 minutes till completely heated.
NOTE: If you wish to make them ahead of time, stuff the mushrooms and refrigerate covered for several hours. Uncover and bake for 20-22 minutes when ready to serve.