Cottage Cheese is a calcium rich protein powerhouse, and spinach, as we all know, is one of the wonder-foods packed with iron and fiber. I have tasted methi masala rotis before, and had heard of using cottage cheese to make rotis soft. When I came across a recipe for spinach cheese parathas at Saffron Hut, I wanted to try them. I changed the recipe to make just rotis without the stuffing. I was surprised at how nicely they fluffed up while cooking, and they kept beautifully for a few days in the refrigerator. Reheating was as easy as putting them on a hot griddle for a few minutes each side. This breakfast is on regular rotation in my family.
Spinach Cottage Cheese Roti
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves (packed)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- few spoons oil to cook rotis
1) In a large food processor bowl, add cottage cheese, spinach, chilli, cumin & turmeric powders and salt. Puree till well mixed.
2) Add the whole wheat flour and pulse few times till a dough forms. DO NOT ADD WATER.
3) Set aside covered in a bowl for 10 minutes. Check to see if the dough is too dry or soft, and add cottage cheese or flour as needed. Set aside covered for another 15-20 minutes.
4) Knead lightly and form into 8-10 balls.
5) Roll out into thin rotis and cook on a hot griddle, brushing with some oil on both sides.
6) Serve with some yogurt or a pat of butter.