I made these muffins a few weeks ago on a whim – I was growing tired of the same old flavors and wanted something different. They turned out alright – tasted better fresh than thawed from the freezer ( I tend to bake a big batch of muffins and freeze them for breakfast / snack on other days). I plan on tweaking the recipe soon, and will post updates on how it turns out. Till then, happy baking.
Low-fat Mango Coconut Muffins
(Makes 1 dozen)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted & cooled
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup mango pulp (homemade or store bought)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or regular all purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
1) Heat oven to 325* F
2) In a medium bowl, melt butter and cool (adding egg to hot melted butter will scramble them).
3) Whisk in the egg and mango pulp and mix well.
5) Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently till just blended.
6) Spoon into 12 muffin cups (about 1/4 cup mix in each) and bake about 25 mins, till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
7) Remove from oven, cool for 5 minutes in pan, and then cool completely on a wire rack.