Savory Rice Krispies Chivda
- 4 cups rice krispies
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 garlic pods (crushed) – optional
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 1/3 cup cashews
- scant 1/4 cup roasted channa dal
- 3 dry red chillies – broken in half
- 1 medium sprig curry leaves
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp amchur powder / citric acid**
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
1) In a large wide pot, heat oil on medium flame.
2) Add mustard seeds and let it pop. Cover pan partially to keep from splattering.
3) Turn flame to medium low. Add the crushed garlic pods and fry till just starting to brown (if using; if not, skip to next step).
4) Add the peanuts and roast for about 30 seconds; add cashews and roast approximately another 30 seconds; add channa dal and red chillies and roast further till everything is light golden.
5) Add the curry leaves and cover the pan partially to avoid splattering; let it pop and crisp for a few seconds.
6) Stir in raisins and fry for few seconds till puffy.
7) Turn flame to low, and pour in the rice krispies.
8) Add all the powders and mix well, making sure it does not burn. Alternately, close lid and shake the pot vigorously till everything is mixed well.
9) Remove from stove and cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.