This dish is so easy to make, and is can be customized with any vegetable and protein of your choice. We’ve had leftovers for brunch and even packed in a lunch box – it holds well for a few hours.
Quinoa “Fried Rice”
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 block firm tofu – well drained and crumbled; [OR] 1 egg
- pinch turmeric (optional)
- 1 small onion (diced fine)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced small)
- 1 (15oz) can peas & carrot – about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
1) Cook quinoa according to package instructions and cool. Take care not to make the quinoa mushy.
2) In a large wok, heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium heat.
3) Add tofu and turmeric and stir fry few minutes, stirring well, till dry and cooked. Adding a pinch of turmeric makes the tofu look just like scrambled eggs. Alternately, whisk 1-2 eggs in a small bowl and scramble. Set aside.
4) In the same wok, heat the other 1 Tbsp of oil and saute the ginger – garlic paste till cooked. Add onions and cook till just starting to get golden.
5) Add red peppers and chili flakes, and saute two minutes.
6) Now add the peas & carrots, scrambled tofu / egg, quinoa, soy sauce and fish sauce. On a medium-high flame, mix well.
7) Roast till well incorporated and heated through. Serve.