I want to say that I’m trying to eat healthy, nourish my body, and detox from all the medication I took last week to get over the flu. The reality is that I couldn’t stand to look at that lone foil-wrapped roasted beet in the fridge anymore. I had seen so many recipes for salads with apples and beets, and decided to give it a try. Totally worth it!! I want to stress the fact that there really is no ‘recipe’; just a guide or idea for a salad combination. Use whatever sounds good to you ( or follow what you read below :)).
Apple & Beets Salad
- 1 cup cleaned spinach leaves (or salad greens of choice)
- 1 medium beetroot (washed, trimmed & grated)**
- 1 medium apple of choice (washed, cored & grated)
- 1tsp honey or agave syrup
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- roasted sunflower seeds (or any other nuts for crunch)
- golden raisins (optional)
1) Whisk honey, lemon juice & apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Add salt & pepper if you like.
2) Gently mix apples & beets in another bowl and drizzle with the dressing. Gently toss to coat.
3) Plate spinach and top with the apple-beet mixture, nuts & raisins. (If you want to skip washing another bowl, just whisk the dressing in a large bowl, and add veggies and toss together till well combined.)
**NOTE: I cannot tell you how many times I have brought beets home from the store with grand plans of eating healthy veggies, and it has gone in the trash after weeks of sitting in the refrigerator. I finally came across roasted beets and it has been an interesting option. I used roasted beets in this recipe, but you may use raw if you like.