This is an easy and mild recipe that you can serve with a Mexican or Tex-Mex style dinner. I made this for my Homemade Chipotle-Style Buffet & Tortilla Salad (Lots of Vegetarian Options) for an informal gathering at our house a while back. (The photo is pathetic, but the taste was delicious!).
Chipotle-style Cilantro Lime Rice
This recipe scales well, so feel free to reduce or increase proportions as necessary. I have listed a large quantity as I served a dinner party.
For a family size meal (2 adults + 2 kids), 1 cup of rice might be enough.
- 3 cups long grain rice (eg: basmati)
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 2 – 3 tsp salt (to taste)
- 2 – 3 medium limes (juiced)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 stick butter (or scant 1/4 cup oil)
1) Rinse the rice with cold water and drain completely.
2) In a medium saucepan with lid, mix rice, salt and water, and bring to a boil on medium-high.
3) Once it comes to a boil, stir once, cover and reduce heat to minimum.
4) Allow to cook undisturbed for about 15 minutes. Open the lid and fluff the top layer gently with a fork, and cover quickly. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 5-10 minutes.
5) Add butter, cilantro & lime juice to taste. Adjust salt as needed. Mix well and serve.
I served this with a Homemade Chipotle-Style Tortilla Salad with beans, tofu and chicken options.