Considering that grill-friendly & red-white-blue food recipes are easily available, I decided to post this dessert as an alternate option for your Memorial Day gathering. Super easy to make , it’s something you whip up in minutes, and set at the table with no further attention. Soft cake top with chocolaty, caramel bottom, these bars are one of my favorite desserts. My teenager took a big box of these cake bars to school and he said his friends ‘attacked’ it before the morning bell. His words: “The bars are awesome because you’re awesome mom”. Teenage sarcasm ignored and brownie points banked :)).
Ooey Gooey Cake Bars
(9 X 13 pan – 24 squares)
- 1 box (16.25oz – 18.5 oz) yellow or white cake mix – any brand
- 2 large eggs – room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (12oz – 14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) butter – room temperature
1) Preheat oven to 350* F.
2) Grease a 9 X 13 pan and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs and oil till well incorporated.
4) Press two-thirds of the mixture onto the bottom of the greased pan and flatten gently.
5) In another bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, condensed milk and butter for about a minute. Mix well and stir to ensure it is completely melted.
6) Pour over the cake mix in the 9 X 13 pan and spread gently to the corners if required.
7) Drop the remaining cake batter on top of the chocolate mixture.
8) Bake 28-30 minutes, or till toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
9) Cool completely and cut into 24 pieces.
10) This is a great recipe to make with kids, and is always a hit at bake sales.
(Sorry for the bad step-by-step photos. I noticed that my regular camera was out of charge after I had started to mix everything, and I had to rely on my phone for photography.)