I made this chicken as one of the toppings for my Homemade Chipotle-Style Buffet & Tortilla Salad (Lots of Vegetarian Options) dinner. While I made this in the crock-pot, it can be made on the stove-top too. 3-ingredients is all it takes, and it can be used to top salads, tacos, stuff burritos, make nachos, or served on top of rice or quinoa. The leftovers freeze well, so make a batch and stock up.
Easy Shredded Mexican Chicken
(Serves 10-12 as a salad topping)
- 2 lbs skinless & boneless chicken thighs ( use chicken breast if you prefer that)
- 1-2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 3 cups salsa
1) Spray the insides of a 4-5 quart crock-pot insert with non-stick spray.
2) Add the chicken, salsa & seasoning and mix well.
3) Cook on LOW for 4 hours without opening the lid.
4) Check for doneness at end of 4 hours and shred with 2 forks.
5) Adjust the seasoning as needed and cook for another 30 minutes if necessary.
1) Mix chicken, salsa & seasoning in a wide pan with a lid.
2) Top with about 1/2 cup broth/water and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce the heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes on low. [Keep the lid slightly tilted so that some of the moisture and steam can escape.]
4) Shred with two forks and adjust seasoning as needed.
5) Put back in the pan and saute on medium-high for another 3-5 minutes and serve.