This is a family friendly recipe that we’ve enjoyed for many years. Quick, easy & nutritious, it was given to me by my friend Akhila. We did some measuring of ingredients over lunch and some girl talk last week – it’s good to have girlfriends who’ll cook for you and let you vent all afternoon :). Thanks Akhila.
Easy Mixed Vegetables & Greens Curry
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 small cinnamon stick (broken)
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
- 1 medium potato (washed and diced into small pieces)
- 1/3 cup peas / lima beans
- 3-4 firm small eggplants (chopped medium size) – You can use the long indian variety too, but it does get a little mushy
- 4 cups chopped green beans (about large pea size pieces)
- 1-2 cups fresh spinach leaves (washed, drained & roughly chopped)
- 1 cup chopped dill
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup water
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- In a wide heavy bottom pan, heat oil over medium-high flame and add the cinnamon & cloves. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions and fry till just starting to brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft – about 2-3 minutes.
- Add green beans and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes & lima beans and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add eggplant, chilli powder & salt and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Mix in the spinach & dill, add water sparingly and cook covered till all the vegetables are done.
- Serve with rice or flatbread like naan / roti / chapatis.
Pressure Cooker Method
- Follow steps 1-3 as above.
- Add all the vegetables, salt & chilli powder and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach & dill, and 1/2 cup water and mix well.
- Cover pressure cooker lid and cook on medium for just 1 whistle.