I made this to accompany a Saturday lunch party with spicy Indian food because I was tired of serving the same sodas/lemonades/mango lassi to guests who preferred non-alcoholic drinks, As with most of my recipes, this can be made ahead of time, and mixed quickly when your guests request the drink.
Fennel seeds/saunf has a licorice flavor, and is generally know as the sugar-candy-coated seeds that are placed at the entrance of almost every Indian restaurant. While one of its roles is as a mouth freshener, saunf is also known to help relieve many stomach ailments – colic, constipation, indigestion, flatulence, heartburn. etc.
Original recipe credit to SAVEUR magazine. My version is a little sweeter and has a slightly more pronounced fennel taste.
Apple-Fennel (Saunf) Spritzer
(Makes about 1-cup syrup; enough for 6-8 drinks)
FOR THE SYRUP:
- 2 tbsp. fennel (saunf) seeds – [coarsely ground]
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
1) Add the crushed fennel seeds, water & sugar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2) Cook on medium-low flame for about 5 minutes till slightly thick, about 5 minutes.
3) Remove from heat and let the mixture rest till it reaches room temperature.
4) Strain into an airtight container or a pretty glass bottle. If not using right away, this mixture can be stored in the refrigerator (tightly sealed) for up to 1 month.
TO SERVE THE DRINK: (per person)-
- 2-3 Tbsp fennel syrup
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup club soda
- Thin apple slices for garnish
1) Mix all ingredients above in a tall glass and add ice. Garnish with apple slices and serve.