Naan Pizza recipes have been around for a while & I’m joining the bandwagon. If only I had known how easy this meal would be. I had dinner on the table in under 30 minutes, and it was really delicious!
I’m all for convenience and used store bought naan but you make it from scratch if you like. (You can try this Naan recipe here with over 1500 reviews!!) As for toppings, our pizzas show ground turkey but you can use any protein of your choice – tandoori / rotisserie chicken, shrimp, paneer, tofu or even just veggies like mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, etc. The recipe below is more of a guide and can be customized as you like.
My kids preferred a plain base, but you can start by spreading a spoon of pizza sauce, green chutney, etc before topping with meat, veggies and cheese.
Serve a fresh salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing to make an easy and tasty summer meal. Click here for recipe.
For meat / paneer topping:
- 1 lb ground meat OR drained & crumbled paneer or tofu
- 3 tbsp onion powder (or 1 medium onion, chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 tsp ginger powder (or 1 tsp ginger paste)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cloves powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
- lemon juice
- 2 tbsp oil
1) Heat oil in a wide pan on medium flame.
2) Add all the spice powders and quickly stir for a few seconds, allowing it to get frothy or ‘bloom’ (If using fresh onion, ginger & garlic – add them to the oil first and saute till just starting to brown. Then add the spice powders.)
3) Add the ground protein and mix well with the spices. Continue cooking on medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break up lumps and ensure even cooking.
4) Cook about 10 minutes and adjust salt. Top with lemon juice. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the pizza:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (if you can lay hands on AMUL cheese at the Indian store, definitely use it.)
- 4 fresh / frozen naans of your choice (I used frozen garlic naan from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 small red onion – finely sliced (optional)
- green chili and mint / cilantro chutney (optional)
- few sprigs of cilantro – finely chopped (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 400*F
2) Lay naans on a baking sheet and top with 1 tsp of sauce or chutney of choice.
3) Spread a 1/4 of the topping mixture on the naan and spread evenly. Top with sliced onions if desired.
4) Now top with 1/4 cup cheese and place in the oven for about 3-4 minutes till cheese is melted.
5) If you want a crunchy crust (delicious!), remove the pizza from the baking sheet and gently slide directly onto the oven rack; cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6) Carefully slide onto serving plate and top with fresh chopped cilantro before serving.
(My son enjoyed it with a drizzle of Maggi Hot & Sweet sauce.)
[Gas Grill Method: preheat grill on high for 10 minutes. Lightly brush each naan with oil and grill for about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a plate and reduce grill heat to medium-low. Top naan with your choice of ingredients and grill covered for another 5-6 minutes till cheese is melted.)