As you all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Most of you have also probably come across multiple sources that state that starting your day with a healthy & nutritious protein-rich breakfast is the key to feeling energetic, controlling appetite, reducing snacking, and staying slim. Protein-rich breakfasts have shown to regulate blood sugars and reduce late afternoon cravings for sugary and unhealthy snacks, and I can personally vouch for it. But if you are like me, meat in the morning is not appealing and eggs are not an option due to allergies. Greek yogurt to the rescue!! With around 200 calories & over 20 gms of protein per cup, greek yogurt is an easy, tasty and portable breakfast or snack item.
The Blueberry-Yogurt Parfait is so simple to make and can be assembled ahead of time. Just top with granola before eating. Use the fruit of your choice and customize quantities to suit your needs. If Greek yogurt is not available, you can use hung yogurt (recipe below). Make a few of these in resealable containers and store in the refrigerator for a quick grab-and-go snack or breakfast. My husband & kids love it too!
- 1 cup greek yogurt (plain or flavored) – [use hung yogurt if greek yogurt is not available – recipe below]
- 1 cup fruit of choice (berries, banana, mango, peach, etc.)
- sweetener of choice (honey, sugar, agave, etc) – optional
- 1/2 cup granola (Click here for stove-top granola recipe.)
1) Take 2 resealable containers and layer each with 1/4 cup greek yogurt on the bottom.
2) If using sweetener, drizzle a teaspoon on the yogurt.
3) Top with 1/4 cup fruit.
4) Repeat yogurt, sweetener, fruit.
5) Just before eating, top with granola. Stir and enjoy. (Click here for stove-top granola recipe.)
To Make 1 cup Hung Yogurt
1) Line a strainer/small colander with a large clean piece of muslin cloth and place the strainer over a deep bowl.
2) Pour 2 cups of regular yogurt onto the muslin cloth.
3) Bring the ends of the muslin together and make into a bundle.
4) Hang the bundle from the faucet / knob with a dish to catch the whey dripping.
5) Leave undisturbed for 3-4 hours till all the water is out. Creamy hung yogurt is ready.
6) Flavor with sweetener if needed and stir well.