Ok….I know I sound like a braggart using this title. But really!!! – this is truly the best salsa I have ever eaten!! (Notice all the exclamation marks.) I got this recipe from my friend Soumya, and no store bought version even comes close. My family loves their chip and 7-layer dip, and they always ask me to make a BIG batch of this yummy and easy salsa. The icing on the cake is that it keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days AND it freezes well too. What’s not to love about that?!?!
I have tried making this salsa with fresh or canned whole or canned crushed tomatoes. It just seems to taste better with canned diced tomatoes; stock up on a few cans from Costco and you whip up a batch in no time :).
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes – (do not drain)
- 1/2 small red onion (medium chunks)
- 2-3 jalapeno peppers (quartered)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- salt to taste
- lime / lemon juice to taste
- pinch of sugar
1) Add all the ingredients in a big food processor jar and pulse till it reaches desired consistency. I like my finely minced.
Sometimes, I mix hummus & this salsa together to make a spicy and creamy salad dressing – give it a try. For other related recipes, check out my post on Homemade Chipotle-Style Buffet & Tortilla Salad (Lots of Vegetarian Options)